The hardest part for following one’s passion is usually not the ideas or vision of the end result but the actual planning and implementation of that plan to make it happen. Fulfilling your dream takes a roadmap and without it you will never know if you are making the necessary progress to hit your destination. I’m going to give five steps that I’ve found is extremely useful in my life and hope it will help you move forward for achieving your dreams.
- Pick one horse and stick with it: This is really a bit of advice that my brother-in-law gave me years ago. It is so easy to jump from racehorse to racehorse in the hopes of picking a winner, but the best thing we can do is to choose one idea and stick with it through thick and thin. I naturally get more ideas I’d love to achieve than is possible and have found I’m more successful when focused one one thing. You can always start something new once you’ve hit your goal, but pour your energy into a single venture and it will serve you well.
- Start with small steps: We would all like to be where we want to be yesterday, but that just doesn’t happen! Achieving your dream or goal starts with taking smaller steps and it’s less overwhelming when you “eat an elephant” in bite-sized chunks. Write down your goal and what you need to do to get there. Then, take those smaller steps and work on those one at a time. You might even break those tasks down into steps and work from that. The idea is to get something manageable written down and completing those ideas or steps. Before long you will be way down the road.
- Give it your all: It is so easy to do something half-heartedly (and if you are I wonder if it’s really a passion) but those who hit their destinations are the ones who pour their heart and soul into their dream. Any worthwhile pursuit requires that you give it your all, all the time, in order to get where you’re going.
- Share it with others: This can be a double edged sword because the moment you start telling people what you are going to do, there will be some who do everything they can to keep you from doing it. These people are a life-suck! The other side is that by sharing your dream with others, it begins to crystallize and holds you accountable. Plus, if you have great people around you, they’ll help push you to make it a reality.
- Stay committed! The truth is that it’s much easier to start on a journey than to finish it. We always hope to arrive faster than we anticipate but sometimes fulfilling a dream or your passion takes time — and you will have to be committed no matter what circumstances enter your life. I used to covet how certain people had it made because they were in a place I wanted to be. It appeared that this success came quickly with little effort, but when I researched their background, I discovered most of these people had been living and working their dream for ten to twenty years before they were positioned in the right place at the right time.
I want to encourage you to use these five steps for following your passion and to start on that journey you have been dreaming about. Don’t keeping putting your hopes on hold — get going and make them happen!